25/08/2009


"One moment in Annihilation's Waste,
One moment, of the Well of Life to taste The stars are setting and the Caravan Starts for the Dawn of Nothing Oh, make haste!"

(Omar Khayyám)

I'm currently a day behind schedule. This is not the end of the world. I've set aside three days to cross the Namib desert and the Khomas Hochland (some mountains to the East of the desert). Going by yesterday's performance (overall negative I agree, however) I did manage 42km in 2 hours. At this pace I could make it back to Windhoek in 2 days easily. Howver this was on a nice smooth road, no water or petrol on the bike and no food either (not that that weighs much). This could be significant. The water weighs as much as the bike itself and it will be very tempting to just drink it and be done with lugging it about (particularly when I reach to Bosua pass, which I'm told is very steep) Failing making up for the day in the desert I could also get it back in the Kalahari, where with the exception of two long days I'll only be doing a little over 100km a day. This will be on a nice road and I'll be carrying a lot less water (probably empty the bags and just use my water bottles)

Will I make it back to Windhoek in two days or will it take the full three? Watch this space!

1 comment:

  1. hope you are doing well in the desert!!! take care!
    besos

    ReplyDelete