29/08/2009

The kindness of strangers

The kindness of strangers

I wouldn't have made it across the desert and the mountains without
the kindness of the people I met on the road. I really should have
written all your names down so I could thank you properly. Instead I
hope you recognise my poor descriptions and apologies to anyone I've
left anyone out, at times I was in a pretty poor way.

I should point out that I don't actually think it would be possible to
travel that road without others supplying you along the way. Mostly on
account of water. I rolled into Windhoek with a litre and a half on
the bike. If I'd tried to set out from Swakup with all the water I
ended up drinking I'm pretty sure the bike would have collapsed
immediately and if not the Bosua pass wouldn't even bear thinking of.

The first day a group pulled up, asked if I was OK and offered me
water, I declined. I still believed I had all I needed to make it solo
(stupid boy!)

After my close call with the salt later that evening and the problems
with the sat phone I knew I would need to stop the first few people I
saw on the road to pass a message to England. I guess even then I
still hadn't quite grasped how far I had to go nor the terrain I'd
chosen to tackle.

The first I met that day were the guys heading for the uranium mines,
they gave me a lot of water, a massive burger and a salad (believe me
it's quite a surreal experience to sit alone in the desert drizzling a
dressing over a leafy salad) I'm afraid those contributions lasted
about five minutes I was so hungry, but the memory of the cold beer
you offered me and I declined, lasted a whole lot longer!

Then of course Mr Vilberts who gave me water, two fizzy drinks
(including pine nut pop which was great) and a droewor (correct
spelling?) and also put me in the newspaper! I love your little dog
poking his head out of the window in the background.

On the final day I saw quite a few more people. The first were the
kids heading off to Swakup for a weeks holiday, what time did you guys
get up? You were out really early, I thought teenagers weren't
supposed to be seen before midday? They offered me a beer, which this
time I accepted and drank in Windhoek and cold fizzy water which
tasted great.

Then the family I met halfway up a hill near the Baboon troop. They
gave me water, nougat, toasties (which were great - I was seriously
carb deficient) and of course their son who gave me his lollipop. I
saved this right till the end as the sun went down and I was on the
last hill looking down on Windhoek.

Then the couple who gave me water, homemade potato paties, minature
plum tomatoes (my favourite even when I'm not in a desert) and even a
100g bar of dairy milk! (which I was of course forced to consume as
soon as you were round the corner, due to the heat and also just in
case you changed your minds and came back for it!)

Finally the couple on the way to their farm who gave me lots of water
(even apologising it was only tapwater!)

You were all great and from now on I'm always gonna carry a spare
bottle of water and a droewor if I'm ever on a long trip - just in
case I meet a traveller in need. If any of you are ever in London drop
me an email it would be great to meet up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment