18/08/2009

Dress rehearsal

Had a bit of a practice putting stuff on the bike this evening. My bike (currently without a name, all sugestions welcomed) came back from the bike shop after it's service today. Got it done at Cycle surgery on Holloway Road and they kindly gave me the unused bits of my chain and some spare spokes for the road. So first job was to attach a front rack to let me use front panniers and get some weight off the back wheel. In the picture you can see the all important blue water bag, this will be very weighty when it is full. As is Rob's tent (the green sausage under the water bag)

Everything seems to fit on OK, does feel rather heavy though (as Tommy can testify) and that's without most of my kit.

Lizzy's wedding at the weekend was amazing. We all had an amazing time. Mum n Dad looked very proud of her and Rob did an excellent job as an usher directing everyone about, especially for the photos. There are a few pics up on my facebook site, including one he sent from the boat she and Damian sailed off down the canal in for their honeymoon. Am very envious of them, weather is perfect at the moment.

I had a bit of a 'moment' before leaving Oxford to come back to London. Last time I will see Mum n Dad before heading off and I know they are very worried about this trip. Guess preparing for it all and finishing dissertation got the better of me for a minute, but feeling better about it all now. I've just finished reading Al Humphries first book "Moods of Future Joys' about his solo trip round the world on a bike and sailing ships. He often talks about how going solo leaves you open to big highs but also big lows. So will be expecting a few more 'moments' in the weeks ahead on the road, but hopefully even more highs! I guess this is one of the motivations for writing this blog. Not only should I have a great record of this trip once I get back hopefully meet some people on the road and perhaps learn to write a slightly more entertaining style of prose through doing it, but it is also a way to share what I'm doing and stay in contact with family and friends who can leave me comments (hint, HINT!) down the right hand column of the page (please keep it clean)

Is getting late and the battery on my laptop is going flat. Sadly no smart arsed quote prepared for tonight so time for B. E. D. I bid thee adieu.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely story :D
    I think that if i would be your parents I also would be really worried... well, i am your friend and i wil be worried any way :D
    I love this kind of communication tool!! i also will keep you updated with everything in Chile, so you will have something different to read about.. jajaja..
    besos, buenas noches!!

    ReplyDelete