29/08/2009

Crossing the Khomas mountains

Today's post will be a bit shorter than yesterday. Don't want to bite
you too much.
Today was tough looking at the map
I was expecting to do 124km which is still a fair distance, It ended
up being 141km and a longtime in the saddle. It was never flat. Never
as bad as the Bosua pass, but plenty of bottom gear 4km/hr stuff.
Gruelling. And the surface was far from smooth so I couldn't really
capitalise on the climbs with the descents for fear of rolling the
bike or even just puncturing. I have to say the powerful one really is
quite a beast. Intended for commuting in London, this machine is
something else, no punctures no strange noises nothing, it just keeps
going. I know I'm raising money for bicycle aid to africa... but sorry
chaps I'm keeping this one (she's a Kona Smoke, incase anyone's
looking to buy a good bike at presen and only about £250 new)

The scenery was stunning once again (this road has been tough, but I
don't for a moment regret opting out of the slightly longer tarmaced
route to the north) I saw Baboons for the first time, quite a lot of
them (and incase you were wondering Tommy, they seemed terrified of
me). I was off the hot plains and there was usually a good breeze up
in the mountains so it was not so hot today, anyway my cooling
techniques were are now well honed. This was a long day but the end
when it eventually came was sooner than expected (for a change) and
the approach to Windhoek was amazing... but that's for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment